REX Owners…There’s More…
If you’ve been reading my blog, you know I fell in love with a 1st generation REX preamp by Balanced Audio Technology (BAT). In addition, my son said the unthinkable, “Dad…I don’t know if it can get any better. You may want to concentrate on improving other parts of your system. The REX may be it….for now.”
So…I began to get comfortable with the idea that the REX would be in my possession for a LONG time. I began to think about placement, vibration control mechanisms, media furniture, tube replacement, etc. Then, I took a peak at the two (2) umbilical cords connecting the modules….umbilical cords???
Background: The Rex is a two box deal (i.e. control module & power module), with two (2) umbilical cords connecting the “modules”. In addition, the modules each contain a complete power supply for a portion of the overall circuit (i.e. control module: + polarity, power module: - polarity). Hence, the two umbilical cords act like part of the overall circuit board, rather than just interconnects or power cords.
Idea: I called my business partner, CH Acoustic. I commissioned them to create a pair of high performance umbilical cords for my REX…if possible??? Now, here is where providence (or serendipity if you prefer) took over.
Over a decade ago, CH Acoustic (also BAT fans) “explored” creating a high performance pair of umbilical cords for the 1st generation REX. However, they abandoned the project due to the many competing priorities of a young business….not the least of which were time and money. Considering our partnership and my “funding” this new effort, we were hopeful that a positive outcome could be achieved…the second time around.
After dusting off their earlier project notes, CH Acoustic delivered prototype umbilical cords a few days later. I plugged the prototypes in, turned everything on….and POW! This was REALLY SPECIAL…..so special, that I decided to spend the evening listening, deferring a serious A/B comparison until later.
The following day, I started my serious A/B comparison between the prototypes and the stock umbilical cords. I concentrated on approximately six (6) musical traits. The prototype umbilical cords performed markedly better in each of the six (6) categories, relative to the stock umbilical cords. This was a home run.
Over the next couple of weeks, I auditioned the prototypes on a few different REX(s), including a REX 3 (3rd generation). The performance improvement was present, persistent, and consistent with each Rex, when compared to the stock umbilical cords. So…we made the decision to create a production model, the new Rubi “T” High Performance umbilical cords.
Let me get straight to the point….I’m not a reviewer. I don’t have the “flowery” vocabulary to truly describe a musical event…so following are the facts as I see them….or In My Humble Opinion….
- The new Rubi “T” High Performance umbilical cords provide a SIGNIFICANT improvement in sound reproduction for ANY REX (i.e. REX, REX 2, or REX 3) preamp. Rubi is our new mid-level collection of cables and cords. “T” stands for transformational, terrific, more “teeth”, and/or Tyrannosaurus. ☺
- ANY REX preamp, with the Rubi T High Performance umbilical cords, will reach a NEW, HIGHER PLATEAU of sound reproduction and SIGNIFICANTLY outperform ANY REX preamp with the stock umbilical cords. For example, a 1st generation REX preamp with Rubi T High Performance umbilical cords SIGNIFICANTLY outperforms a REX 3 preamp with the stock umbilical cords.
As a result, following are my recommendations for ALL REX preamp owners.
- Buy a pair of Rubi T High Performance umbilical cords.
- Plug the Rubi T High Performance umbilical cords into your REX preamp and play music.
- Applaud your Rubi T purchase decision…which will take less than 5 minutes of play time to affirm.
- Place the stock umbilical cords in one of the two REX preamp module boxes (for storage).
- Enjoy the music.
Stay dangerous REX preamp owners…this is WAY BETTER than GOOD!